Tuesday, September 14, 2010

What Do You Want From God?

 O God, You are my God; early will I seek You;
My soul thirsts for You; my flesh longs for You
In a dry and thirsty land where there is no water.
So I have looked for You in the sanctuary,
To see Your power and Your glory.
Because Your lovingkindness is better than life,
My lips shall praise You.
Thus I will bless You while I live;
I will lift up my hands in Your name.
My soul shall be satisfied...
And my mouth shall praise You with joyful lips.
When I remember You on my bed,
I meditate on You in the night watches.
Because You have been my help,
Therefore in the shadow of Your wings I will rejoice.
My soul follows close behind You;
Your right hand upholds me."
 
-- Psalm 63:1-8


The psalmist writes of earnestly seeking God - longing for God - because God satisfies the soul.


I want to want fellowship with God that much and I want my motives to be pure, but I wonder if that is always the case. I want my motivation for seeking God to be pure delight in Him, to make myself available as His servant.


It is wonderful just to take delight in God! If I were to be brutally honest, though, I sometimes catch myself trying to make God MY servant. It's as if a token prayer can be dropped into the Great Omnipotent Vending Machine and all inconveniences will vanish, grief will magically disappear, the consequences of bad choices will be avoided, etc.


Lord, purify my heart until all I want is to fellowship with you, become like you, and do all that you ask.

1 comment:

  1. The message here is clear and your thoughts are music to the ears of many a Christian. Our felsh is but putrid and rotting seeking only what God might bless us with in our contrition. Let us be purified and of pure motive in our surrender of self simply to glorify our great and loving God. You are succinct in your comments and the vending machine of blessings is all to often used by many a lazy Christian...confess that I have been there also. May the Lord make mine a purer heart.

    ReplyDelete